PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair/Channel 4 dispatches Programme
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 20:18
Wedge

...the thin end thereof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not surprised by the initial reaction to the prog here.

But I disagree. Ignoring the dross and hyperbole, and concentrating on the actual evidence, there was more than enough in that programme to warrant publication, imho.

Trainees writing each other's references? I'm sure the terrorists will be interested in that.

Staff are clearly encouraged to cut corners in basic procedures. Checking the passports at Gothenburg? Cabin crew chastised for delaying departure.

The training? Clearly a blatant disregard to the spirit of the rules if not the letter. Even though it doesn't appear to be technically against the rules to allow them to sit their tests with their notes, it hardly imbues confidence as a potential customer.

Surely it's agreed that the very high air safety standards we have in the first world are achieved by a 'belt and braces' approach. It seems to me that Ryanair don't bother with the braces. While perhaps not operating outside the letter of the law, they certainly operate outside the spirit of it and push the rules to the absolute limits.

That's not what the rules are there for, the rules are absolute minimum standards that airlines are supposed not to fall below. That's not the same as them being a recommended industry standard, which is the way Ryanair appear to view them.

It's already been said on this thread that 25 minutes is not enough to turn an aircraft around and still have full regard to all of the safety checks required.

If Ryanair do have a serious accident, MOL will have a lot to answer for.

On the strength of the evidence I have seen in this programme, I'd think twice about flying Ryanair. That said, you get what you pay for.