PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish Airlines THY, off the runway at JFK airport
Old 14th Feb 2006, 15:18
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jondc9
it is so difficult to get the story straight early on. to the person who indicated difficulty stowing #2 reverser, thank you. even if your info is wrong, thanks for something very interesting to ponder.
an AP article said the plane had cleared the runway and on the taxi way spun around.
somehow I don't think the #2 reverser is the cause, though I could be wrong. if properly functioning the throttle could not be advanced in forward thrust. but again, too soon to really know.
I've seen too many decent approaches and landing ruined by a quick exit onto a very slippery taxi way. a prudent pilot should come to a straight stop on the runway. then, carefully maneuver off the runway onto the taxi way very slowly.
I saw one cocky captain (when I was an f/o) exit the runway. I said, be careful , the atis said this taxi way is slippery. he told me to shut the @#$ up. 2 seconds later we were slipping out of control, I shouted, "REVERSE".
we stopped.
I didn't fly with that a@#$%^&*() anymore.
j

Something wrong here with the report, I suspect.

In all most circumstances the pilot would have stored all reversers before taking the taxi way, including having reduced speed so low as that the reversers are insignificant compared to braking.

Yes I agree that if somehow an unstowed reverser went to full thrust it would cause a problem, but that should be an extremly remote possibility. The only event I can think of with a runaway engine coming out of reverse was PA45 LHR-DTW and even then the reverser was stowed.