PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will 65 Age Limit Affect New Pilots???
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 12:51
ooizcalling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qualified answer;

I think the vast majority of 60 year olds will opt to retire at or around 60th birthday regardless of the option to continue past that point ( a mate of mine did just the other month for example). This assumes that they have sufficient financial resources to enjoy retirement with a reasonable lifestyle. There will of course be some who want to continue even if they have more than enough resources to retire at or even before reaching age 60. Then there will be some who simply have to continue even if they'd prefer to retire due to financial limitations.

On the other side of the coin, there have been those who have had to leave the industry way before 60 due to health matters, a few because of proficiency problems, and others simply because they'd had enough or want to try something different.

So the pro's and Con's must balance up within a reasonable tollerance, and thus 'Keg's' response is perhaps a little too pesamistic.

Overall then I guess there will be an adjustment which might affect you but only temporarily, and we've all had to put up with temporary delays at various times during our lives for various reasons. I think in the future it will be looked back on as a relatively minor hick-up in the industry. If the projections for growth in the industry are even half right, then I think it still looks good.

By the way, I'm in the category of 'would like to retire at 60, but financialy can't afford to yet' due to a few years of unemployment along the way where no salary comming in but the bills sure didn't stop comming !!!! Had to feed the family off pension savings during that time. Hope to be able to bale out at 62 on present planning.

All industries have their ups and downs. Why should aviation be insulated from them ? Good luck anyway !