PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 08:12
mgdaviso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by L-H
mgdaviso,
Dunno really, probably because I know what the selection and training process is to gain a regular commission that I feel that I've sneaked in through the back door. I'm sure that as I settle in it will pass.
I hear what you're saying. Whilst the VR(T) Commission is "real" per se, I have never tried to believe that I was a regular serving Officer, and have never had any problems whilst on RAF Stations during summer camps. Airmen (or should that be airpeople these days?) have always saluted where necessary, and they have always had a proper salute in return. I've never demanded anything, always requested, and I've found that people despite being busy with their jobs, have always found time to help and show cadets around aircraft, etc.

I guess it depends on your attitude - I know of a few VR(T)'s who like to think that they are on a par with serving Officers, but don't even come close, but these are in the minority.

I'm sure you'll settle in well - ex-regular personnel are needed amongst our ranks to help keep things focused on what our parent service actually do, and they bring gallons of good stuff to the organisation.

Vulpecula;

Do what you feel is best for you. Do not be pressurised into going for a VR(T) commission because your CO "needs you" in uniform.

The two jobs are very different.

My advice:

pop on over to http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forums where you'll find loads of information, and be able to ask any questions you like.

HTH