PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Configuration Warning near V1. Continue or stop?
Old 14th Feb 2006, 07:33
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
In the type I flew, the configuration warning was theoretically inhibited once the throttle levers were beyond a certain position...

However, on day we received a configuration warning at around 90 KIAS (well below V1), so rejected the take-off. The fault was later proved to be a faulty 'interruptor unit' - the thing which caused the beeping. This was shared with the cabin altitude warning system and it was incorrectly sensing an excessive cabin altitude.

The rejected take-off was very straightforward, but we had the luxury of about 12 simulator sessions per annum and probably 20 or so high speed abort practices in the box. So it was, to some extent, second nature.

What really annoyed me though was to learn that several of my colleagues had also had the horn go off for the same reaon in this jet - but hadn't bothered to snag it...

I never accepted the 'just ignore it' advocates who said they'd continue if the configuration warning sounded during the take-off roll; years earlier an airline operating the same type had a nuisance configuration warning when it was tested prior to flight. They decided not to go - which was just as well. The cause of the warning was an unserviceable tailplane incidence sensor; however, the cause of the unserviceability was significant damage to the tailplane and fin caused by a previous encounter with severe turbulence......