PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44
Thread: Robinson R44
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2006, 00:27
Galapagos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have flown the Astro, Raven and Raven II and find that there is a big difference between the the two Ravens... big difference!

The II has different MR ant TR blades and is faster, smoother, quieter and will autorotate like a Long Ranger! The new fuel injected engine is far ahead of the carburated model especially when hot and high becomes a factor in terms of performance. Fuel efficiency is also better. Starts like a charm... way better in hot conditions when engine is warm and will not give you the same grief as the carb engine when the temp is in the minus... may be not a problem for you. Starter on collective to facilitate engine restart in flight... just in case!

A/C is available and is not that heavy. Definetly wouldn't use it for take off and landing so power available would not really be affected if only used in cruise or on the ground. I have flown in 42c between 2500' and 5000' for a day and the RRPM was as solid as can be and the machine felt like a turbine more than a piston. Oil temp was definitely at the higher end of the green but never had a problem. Didn't hover much, though.

The GW is 2500 instead of 2400... not negligeable for a light machine.

New 28v electrical system... finally!

It is definitely a better all around aircraft and think that it became what the 44 was meant to be.

Really nice aircraft to fly. I would advise you on getting the Raven II if you do get a 44. The difference in price is negligeable when you're behind the controls day in day out... believe me.

G