PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines Pilot Arrested at Manchester (NOT GUILTY)
Old 13th Feb 2006, 20:31
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bjcc
I’m sorry to disagree with you when you’ve so generous to me but my comments have been made on the basis of the limited facts so far reported. We don’t yet know all the facts.
It really does not matter one jot what the AA FM, or any other document says.
It may well matter. If there’s a dispute about whether the pilot had reported for duty; it may well be relevant.

“Nor does it matter what notional manoevering is done by anyone to re arrange this guys status.”
So you’ll dismiss anything which might be said by the defence in support of the pilot not being on duty.

“That's of course leaving aside AA's statement saying what his status was!”
We don’t know the position of the person who issued the press release, nor what he/she was told nor by whom. One might think great care would be taken before statements are issued about delicate matters, but we both know that inaccurate assertions are sometimes made in statements issued quickly after far more delicate incidents. (eg Important inaccuracies in the statement made by the Met Police Commissioner following the police shooting of an innocent man last year – later corrected with an apology. I assume he made them in good faith on the basis of what he'd been told.)

“KC135777’s points seem to be made up of 'ifs'. “
So are mine. (If the facts are these, the law is this ….. etc.)
In contrast, yours are made up of asserted certainties.
Given we have very few facts, and those we appear to have may not be accurate, some might think caution is appropriate.

KC135777 is a pilot and openly admits a bias; he’s suggesting possible scenarios in which a fellow pilot may not have committed an offence.
Could you, as a former policeman, possibly be just a little biased?
Let’s be frank. Without exception, you have taken the police/prosecution side in every single one of these ‘alcohol’ threads.

KC135777 is a 'trier'?
He certainly thinks outside the box.
You and I have never agreed on the merits (as I see them) of doing that.

”He has been nicked! End.”

I winced when I read that.
It oozes such satisfaction.
As you say, our approach is often very different.

FL