PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 20:28
FCWhippingBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vulpecula,

It all depends on what you want to get out of it! As a CI, you have very little input on the running of the organisation, but on the plus side, you can devote more time to the kids, without the hassle of rank politics!

Also, as we used to joke, CI was the highest rank in the ATC - in theory noone can tell you what to do - they can ask you politely, but not tell you

I was happy to remain a CI, purely so I didn't have to get involved in the politics that seemed to come with a uniform in the wing I belonged to, but then, I had an excellent CO on the Sqn, who valued his CIs more than, it seamed, Wing did. He let us have a great deal of input at Sqn level, which was fine by me!

Perhaps someone who has taken the plunge from CI to VRT/AWO would care to give their perspective on the matter - I feal my experience is rather biased toward staying a civvi!

Edit - forgot to mention VRT Officers on RAF Camps. As a serving airman now, I have only come across VRT officers once since joining the mob, and had no problem with them at all, perhaps because I knew who/what they were. However, I do feel that a lot of the negativity within the serving ranks is due to lack of knowing who/what they really do! That and possibly the un-coolness of saying cadets IS a worthwhile organisation and not just a bunch of pesky kids that turn up once a year at summer and nick your scoff in the airman's mess!