PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Driving Outback Highways at Night
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 19:33
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you need to drive at night and what are you driving?

I live in the bush, drive a Landcruiser Prado with a very solid bull bar and long range driving lights, have driven 110,000 in the past two years, 95% in 'roo country, probably 60% between 1.00 am and dawn. I've hit one roo and three have hit me - into the side of the car. The only vehicle damage I've had was one headlight protector smashed when I hit an eagle in daylight.

The Prado holds 180 liters fuel in two standard tanks, so I do not carry additional fuel. I carry two spares - which is probably why I've never had a puncture - and a 20 liter bottle of water. My car has a Garmin moving map GPS - very useful on back tracks and in the city, CDMA phone kit, UHF CB, my amateur radio HF transceiver, one of those booster battery things and a Waeco freezer to keep the beer cool.

Night driving can be tiring and stressful. If you don't need to drive at night, are not accustomed to playing slalom with wildlife and drive a family sedan, forget it. On the plus side, less cops at night (110 kph speed limit in this state) and as the country is so flat and featureless, one can see cop cars from a great distance - rather useful when the GPS tells me the vehicle's maximum speed achieved is 179 kph!