PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in the USA (incl Florida!)
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 17:17
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Grecian

Have you ever been to a flying club, or other relatively small flying organisation for the enthusiast? I think you will find there is a difference, a change of feel. To really learn about aviation people with few hours need to spend time informally wiht people who have a lot of experience, just talking about flying as we all do. I mean that whatever your definition of few or a lot. I know I learnt from people with fewer hours than the 1000 or so I now have, but I equally know I have a lot to learn from friends with 3000 hours.

Peewit

You are in an uncommon situation, and had you flown in the summer (or in places I have flown even in winter) you could get good continuity in the UK. However part of the problem I am trying to describe is the pushing through the course that you are appreciating. You are leanring the syllabus, but flying is so much more than that! There is a lot you only learn in the bar with Pontius's classmates.

It is probably not important to you, as any flying you do back here is likely to be in a club where you will get that atmosphere. This is the commercial training forum, so many people here will go straight to a short course in an FTO for CPL and IR, working intensively towards those goals. Some of them will still get the experience there, as some FTOs have a good social scene and a wide variety of experience. Sadly others do not.