PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RA fail on B737
Thread: RA fail on B737
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 11:22
I-2021

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by B737MRG
You are on your way to a destination that has low visibility and en route one Radio Altimeter fails.
- there is no NNC in the QRH
- the "table of requirements" in the OM of my airline says I need both RA for any A/P approach, CAT I, II and III, so my minima become CAT I manual flight
- if I read the MEL (not applicable in flight...) it says "do not use associated A/P for approach", which means that we could perform a single channel CAT II
Any info ?
Hi,

according to my Ops manual, you can perform a single channel CAT I since the radioaltimeter associated to the autopilot in use must be operative. For a CAT II you need 2 radioaltimeters according to my Ops manual. Of course, if you perform a single channel CAT II the airplane does not recognize the difference but from the operational point of view you are in troubles since your primary reference is the radioaltimeter and you do not have the chance to crosscheck the data. Other interesting features I am reading right now (thanks for the question anyway !) is that the RPR will remain in high state if you do not have a valid RA signal or a disagreement between 2 RA.

Just my 2 cents