PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practised Forced Landings Without Power
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 11:05
nike

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So anyway....

The point of posting that bulletin was to help some of the guys who seemed a little confused about the legalities of descent below 500' with respect to PFL's and the various references to LFA's that came up in the other thread.

Great to see a clarification like this published. We had many a conversation with CAA, ASL testing guys and others during my stint as an instructor and everyone had a different interpretation. Not what a newbie wanted to hear.

I lost my way a little in reading your posts Indigo Duck, you've got some good points in there, just a big brush at times.
For mine, I appreciate the point of familiarity breeding comtempt, however this and any other perceived issues of repetitive PFL area usage can be overcome. It just requires the right questions to be asked of the student to ensure the process is indeed understood.

In having a 'common' or regularly used PFL area, this can become quite a controlled environment within itself. I found that in the case of the Pokeno area it seemed everyone was keen to co-operate to ensure safety, knowing the higher density of traffic in that area. A case of just getting on with the job.

Just out of curiousity, I didn't follow the AFS crash in the LFA you refer to. Did this happen in the LFA out at the Clevedon river mouth? That LFA used to be isolated to the coastline, ie over the water only. Is this still the case?

Still learning.