PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Driving Outback Highways at Night
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2006, 07:40
an3_bolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Used to live and work up there many years ago.
I had an old Subaru wagon that would do terminal velocity of around 150km/hr and 155 on a tailwind.
I used to drive at night when required as well. All the service stations at that time closed down at night, so fuel was far and few between. Gets a bit lonely too.
All went well for some time...until....I had to dip the lights for a bus coming the other way. Didn't see the roo until too late. Luck I didn't swerve, or I would not be writing this, as I was near terminal velocity. Result - Roo 1, car 0. I had to drive the last 500km to Alice with flat spotted tyres down to the metal reinforcement.
I know with hindsight how young and stupid I was. An absolute idiot....for the following reasons:
1. High speed at night with wildlife around is not smart. Backed by the amount of roadkills you see and smell on the side of the road. Expect vehicle damage at the very least.
2. Help is a long way away. If you do hit something - chances are if you are seriously injured - you will die before help arrives. Driving during the day increases the chances of help, as you are visible and more people traveling on the road.
3. Too many people die on outback roads through various reasons. Some include falling asleep - day or night. Not much to entertain you at night down the Stuart Hwy.
If you live smarter, very good chance you will live longer.
My very best wishes to you for a long and happy, prosperous life.