PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling V1 early
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2006, 18:33
Alex Whittingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JW411, I'm not suggesting your colleagues in the hot seat did anything contrary to their training. I'm suggesting that they were taught the wrong technique for speed control in a jet and that the application of that incorrect technique, by coincidence, killed them as they reduced speed towards V2.

The NTOFP is based on a V2 climb at that stage but V2 as scheduled is often, in fact usually, V2min which is neither the best angle of climb speed nor the best rate of climb speed and can even be on the wrong side of the drag curve. The NTOFP also assumes an engine failure at VEF. Teaching pilots to reduce speed to V2 following an engine failure at a speed above V2 displayed a lack of understanding of both the certification procedures and aerodynamics. It was not the accepted technique on all aircraft or in all companies, just on some DC10 fleets.

This is why I said that, if the crew were better trained, the accident might have been prevented. If they had been taught the correct technique they would not have reduced speed and the wing would not have stalled at that point.