PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling V1 early
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2006, 10:13
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mutt:

"With all repect to Wiley and JW411.....continue your chat....otherwise".

Otherwise what? Otherwise you will cut off my allowances or otherwise punish me?

Or do you perhaps mean "continue your chat.....elsewhere"?

In any event, I think you are being less than fair. The Chicago disaster was raised by john_tullamarine who, I believe, is the moderator.

Alex Whittingham then made the amazing statement that the accident could possibly have been prevented with better training.

Wiley disagreed with that and so did I.

I don't know where Alex Whittingham (or you for that matter) was 27 years ago but reducing speed to V2 if already above it in the event of engine failure WAS what was taught in those days. The contention was that the net flight path was based on maintaining V2 and that was what we were exhorted to do.

It was largely as a result of this disaster that we arrived at the "climb at V2 but if you are already at V2+10 then maintain V2+10" situation that exists today. A lot of water has gone under the bridge in 27 years.

The crew of the Chicago DC-10 was doing exactly what they were trained to do and that was the conventional wisdom of the day. Their aircraft was ultimately unflyable and even V2+50 would only have given them a few more minutes.

Finally, if you are complaining about thread creep, then remember that it was the moderator that started it! In any event, going from a discussion about V1 to a discussion about V2 is not much of a creep. All in all, I think you are out of order.

Last edited by JW411; 12th Feb 2006 at 12:04.