PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2006, 08:56
RayDarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the RAFVR(T) were to go, it could be replaced by a similar system used by the ADDC (predecessor of the ATC for the uninitiated) The adult staff in those days wore RAF style uniforms, but rank braid was (I think) black They were able to operate alongside the RAF, but were not commissioned. The previously mentioned GVC works in much the same way. Rank titles would need changing and an ATC officers cap badge would need designing, but this is easy stuff. The effect on the kids would be nil. ATC still doing what it always has, in much the same way as before. Effect on posers would be significant, as they no longer have a Commission Scroll to frame above the fire place, and are no longer able to strut around RAF bases claiming salutes from the troops. Makes accommodation at camp easier as the adult staff could be placed more easily in Sgts Mess accommodation, that is if there is any to spare. I expect the politics will still go on, but the guys at the sharp end will have to sort that out.

As for RAF greatcoats.. a fine piece of kit but likely to bring blushes to the cheeks of Mrs Darr, an ex GVC cadet, and my frau for well over 30 years .