PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Mid Air Collision Near Palmerston North
Old 12th Feb 2006, 02:46
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't help comment on some statements here.

I don't see how Palmy airspace is that special/cramped or what ever when compared to Ardmore. They both have a high density of GA and other traffic (gliders and various mixes of aircraft types and nearby airfields) including lower hour pilots under training.

Broadcasting of position reports is all very well but I fear some people over do that part, just listen out on 119.1 sometime to hear some of the mindless broadcasts that go on. Some people talk too much and clutter up the frequency, which means one of two things happen, people tune out or turn the volume down. I wonder sometimes that some pilots think that by continually talking, others will see them thereby absolving them of having to keep a vigilant look out.

There is no substitute for keeping a good look out at all times.

The RNZAF have trained quite satisfactorily in the areas around Ohakea, they have methods they use to help ensure separation. Perhaps some of those methods could be used.

This comment really had me baffled

All this discussion lead into others questions, as it was mentioned that the aircraft were at 90 degrees to each other. Is the Cherokee a suitable aircraft for training and ...
A bit like saying, "Is any aircraft suitable for training".