PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accidents in NZ - too frequent?
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2006, 02:03
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read this thread with interest and thought I would add my 2 cents worth.

First any accident especially one invloving death is one too many.

However I do wonder how bad things really are here in NZ compared to other parts of the world. We keep getting told how bad our GA accident rate is and also our road toll for that matter.

Whenever figures get quoted I always thinks of that famous saying which I think is attributed to Winston Churchhill, "There's lies, lies and there's damn statistics".

Do these oft quoted figures always compare apple with apples. I remember being told once that insurance company accident data is a much more reliable source than "official sources" such as the CAA. With that in mind I make the following observation.

Are insurance pemiums much higher in NZ or is insurance much harder to obtain in NZ when compared to other parts of the world. I have anecdotal evidence that suggests that it is much easier to obtain insurance in New Zealand than the USA and insurance premiums (hull not liability) are as cheap or cheaper than in the US. THis suggests to me that our accident rate is probably at least a good as and probably better than the USA.

Food for thought.