PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The best pilot sunglasses
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2006, 07:29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray Bans for under $200(AUS)

Ray-Ban’s ‘Sidestreet - RB3183’. Colour Code - 014/73 (Frame – ‘Brown’, Lenses – ‘APX Brown’)

Metal, frameless lenses. Really thin arms so headset stays nice and snug (mine are David Clarke 13.4’s) and keep outside noise to an absolute minimum. Not a big fan of Ray-Ban till now, when I realised they did some nice sets, unlike those awful 70’s style Aviators! These are well made, light, really comfortable & wrapped to avoid light leaking into your peripheral vision. Non-polarised variety of course, and rated category 3 on Ray-Bans tint rating. (Darkest is 4, which RB do not recommend for driving or flying). I find the brown lens makes it much easier to see the instruments and makes the outside seem a shade lighter compared to Cat. 3 lens with a green or grey tint. Still dark enough to take the sting away from that harsh WA sun.

Would’ve loved titanium, super-thin armed Maui Jims, but these were way out of my budget. Sertengetis come highly recommended too, but again too pricey for me. Pooh. Killer Loop did some incredibly thin-armed frameless, good looking sets at a great price, but all the ones available to me had mirror lenses which are apparently not recommended.

Ray Bans have great lenses, great fit, take good care of your eyes and whilst they still cost a pretty penny, they’re a good choice for people without copious amounts of money to burn!

AUS $179.95. From Sunglass Hut – have 14 day return policy if you don’t like them or work as well as you’d expect. 1 year guarantee. If broken (I was told ‘I don’t care if you sit on them or run over them deliberately with a truck’!), they’ll give you a brand new replacement pair at half the price. Sweet.