PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 212/412 Steep Approaches Offshore
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2006, 01:11
paco

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
I must admit I favour the steep approach, aiming for the edge of the deck nearest to you, with the H just forward of the end of the Pitot tube. The gate is 500 feet, half a mile and 60 kts. This means that you start off at around 500 fpm to keep the closure correct, but if you pull in power early and aim to cross the deck at around 250 fpm, there is very little collective movement at the end, and thus no flare so you won't hit the tail on the deck when you get into the 3 foot hover you need here. In short, I treat it just like a pinnacle approach, especially since you are going for the only good landing spot for miles around and you want to maximise your chances of geting in. Don't worry if you seem a little fast at the end - the ground effect will slow you down.

"Too Steep" is not an angle - to me it's where you don't have enough speed to fly away if you need to.

Coming in steep means you always have some momentum behind you if you have to make a dive for it, and you are not using as much collective as you would with a shallow approach, with which, if a donk stops you are going to go nowhere but down, and your collective is already high, and dumping it takes you down quicker. At least, that's what would happen out here on a hot day - the 212 may as well be a single for all the good the other engine will do. This is particularly important if the deck is only a few feet off the water.

Would be interested in hearing other peoples' comments - every Captain I meet seems to have a different opinion!

phil