PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2006, 22:43
hobbit1983
Professional Student

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ex-cadet and Ex-VRT officer here.

The ATC was fantastic when I was a teenager - I benefitted hugely from many top-notch courses, flying/gliding courses etc which influenced my subsequent career choice (civvi pilot U/T at the moment) but as an adult member of staff I found a number of my colleagues (by NO means all - I had the pleasure to work with and know a number of top men and women) were soley interested in themselves, often to the detriment of the cadets.

Also the Wing Staff often (and again I must stress that the bad apples often were far more visible than the good eggs) were living in a world of their own - which restricted some activites course etc available to cadets.

However, I believe that the Air Training Corps is a very worthwhile organisation that does a huge amount of good work with young people - and it should continue to do so.

Agree with RayDarrs comment on the identity change for the VRT - the status of the officers who, to gain a Queens Commission (with all that goes with it) have to do what they do, should be altered.

Head now below parapet....!