PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 212/412 Steep Approaches Offshore
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2006, 21:54
SirVivr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
212/412 Steep Approaches Offshore

Old Thread, But New Questions.

I have lurked and searched all threads.

Now I request knowledge, experience and relevent comments.

We are currently flying 212's and early 412's. We use the Bristow steep, steep approach. The local CAR's legally require single engine fly-away at all times. We go to restricted decks most often. The restriction is because of the small size of the decks and the living quarters on the right hand side of the deck. Winds are east or east of north 360 out of 365 days.

Problem:

Since we have to teach low time pilots, (300 hrs starting), they cannot see the deck clearly.

Two ways to get on the deck safely in a twin. Shallow and fast or steep and slow. I was trained 17 yrs ago that steep, steep was the way.

We do use a restricted deck weight. 10,850 for the 212 and 11,380 for the 412. As temp goes up, weight goes down.

Many of our newer pilots stick with the shallow, fast solution. I am trying to explain the PB way of safetey.

We use a 20-25 degree angle of approach. Disregard the airspeed, fly the "shudder" if relevant wind is low. Disregard, fly the angle, if wind is high.

412 has less inertial blade force than 212. We put the same weight in a 412 and practiced the same take-off and landings. Slightly more blade coning, but we have made it for many years.

Sorry, GOMERS, we used to practice single-engine approaches to the deck. Consistently and with full weight.

Now:

Relevent comments, critical reviews and advice.

I truely welcome advice since I may be wrong.

Former Snake Driver, WWNam
Charles Alexander