PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A shiny Breitling for my cockpit me thinks
Old 10th Feb 2006, 14:40
threepointonefour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VigilantPilot
Has anyone actually used a wrist watch in a cockpit, aside from checking the cockpit clock is correct?
Yep. Regularly.

The Breitling selling point of having more numbers on a dial than you can shake a stick at is humorous.
I'm not sure that lots of numbers is their selling point?! I've yet to see another brand commit to producing relatively small numbers of customised watches (Red Arrows, BBMF, Pilot/Nav brevets, Sqn crests etc) at prices well below the RRP. I'm not a rep, but most other brands are no different to Breitling and it's true that a £10 digital would be as reliable and accurate, so those aren't the reasons 'we' look at Breitling/Rolex etc. I think some of the Navitimers are beautifully designed timepieces - fussy, but very nice nontheless.

How about their circular slide rules!? Maybe I don't have enough capacity!
I sometimes use it when planning, and when flying in slower aircraft. I agree it's not much use at 420kts, but I'm fairly sure Breitling didn't design it for that use.

If you want non-fussy, then look at the range from Tutima (German) - they're a bit too much like the RAF Seikos for my liking.

I think you 'knock' too quickly ...