PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2006, 12:44
mgdaviso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll stick my head above the parapet.

As a current RAF VR(T) Officer, commanding a squadron of 50 odd cadets, I'm confident that I'm not in the minority of idiots who tar the name of the VR(T) with office politics, and empire building.

I do have to ask RayDarr - with what would you replace it?

I also have to add that I have the utmost respect for our "service helpers" but unfortunatly in this day and age, they cannot be relied on, not because they are unreliable per se; but they are down for a couple of months all keen and enthusiastic, and then they ahve to go do guard duty for a week, they go off to sandy places, and they have night shifts, or training to do. Therefore I can't rely on them to be available consistently. Not their fault - you guys are overstretched as it is. It's just the way it is for me (and I have an East midlands, harrier base practically on my doorstep.

We have cr@p officers, because of two things

1) there is a nationwide shortage of officers: ergo: We'll take anyone who is prepared to put on the blue suit.
2) The selection process is not rigorous enough, and the follow up leadership and management training and support is naff to say the least.

and point 3 - you'll always get some tw@t who gets through the system because they know how to jump through all the right hoops.

also, where the ACO used to be staffed greatly by ex-regular personnel no-one leaving the service these days wants anything but bugger all to do with us. They cannot get out of the parent organisation and away from it fast enough - do you think they really want to help us? nope.

hey-ho.