PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Training Corps
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2006, 11:56
RayDarr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an ex cadet, a father of cadets, a ex CI. an ACLO and supporter of several ATC Sqns according to where I was posted at the time, I think I know something about this. Indeed, Mrs Darr is ex VRT, ex CI and current Civ Committee member of an ATC Sqn.
My view is it is a great organisation for kids, and contains a large number of committed adults doing their best. It is however spoiled by the internal politics and the small number of idiots who like to ponce about in uniform pretending to be officers in the RAF. Now as they hold a VR(T) commission, they actually are , but with only a week reading and writing course, they know the square root of bugger all about the real service. I have great respect for the RAF people who turn up at their local Sqn to help out. They are in the minority however, and people on the inside with real RAF experience ane few and far between. In fact people with real RAF experience are often considered a threat, and I have observed several over the years,being slowly frozen out because the "In Crowd" didn't want someone in their private club knowing the real way of doing things. I have also seen very successful Sqns decimated, because of jealousy by others on "the wing staff" Some of the tricks would make you cry.
While I would wish the ATC to continue and prosper, I think it is about time the RAFVR(T) was abolished, and the adult staff were given an alternative identity. The committed leaders would remain, but the posers, having lost the ability to walk round our stations and make our airmen salute them, would soon drift away.The ATC would become a better run organisation for that.
Now, I expect I have started WW3 with the above. I hope not, as I have a lot to thank the ATC for, both on my own account, and for my children, all ex cadets. I honestly think however that it needs a serious shake up to get rid of those who do it no good and who seem to be in it for their own benefit rather than for the kids.