PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates A340-300 incident @ JoBurg. Report is public
Old 10th Feb 2006, 11:45
Oblaaspop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boeingboeingbong
Also, can we take from the underlined statement that perhaps the FO did see what was happening but this was simply a case of poor CRM skills/part of the culture in UAE that prevents the FO from speaking up/confronting someone in authority in such circumstances. Pure speculation here of course so please dont be offended if I am way off the mark with my comments!
Sorry, I actually do take offence at that quote!

Perhaps it would help you and others to understand that only about 2% of the pilot work force here is actually local. The rest are expats mainly Brits (me included), Aussies, Canadians, Yanks and other Europeans (well about 60 other nationalities to be exact).

No such "culture"/CRM problems exist at EK! In fact the company takes great pride in the fact that soooooo many different nationalities fly together.

Indeed the 2 guys involved were from "Western" countries.

I have only one rule when I fly, and thats to land safely at the other end! If that means shouting at/ taking control from the captain before we pile into the ground then so beit, regardless of where he's from.

For the record, I flown with several different "locals" and other Arabs, and have enjoyed flying with them, they're generally good/able guys with good CRM. (of course there is the odd exception, but you'll find that anywhere!)

I hope this helps with your question about this airlines environment, which you clearly know nothing about!