PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QNH
Thread: QNH
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2006, 08:50
Ropey Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have those who are trying to fit words to the codes read the initial link by albatross?

There may be well known mnemonics to aid memory of often used codes - and possibly even assisted in their initial allocation, but essentially the codes came before the widely used 'memory aids' - one only has to look at the number of them to seee that they cannot all stand for something.
Possibly those who only hear QHN/QFE don't realise the number of others and assume those two must have a meaning.

Even today - in the ATPL we have (including mnemonics I was taught):
QDM: Mag heading to [Direct Magnetic]
QDR: Mag Bearing from [Direct Radial]
QTE: True bearing from [True Eminanting (from)]
QUJ: True track to [True to the flag (Union Jack - starting to reach a bit I know!)]

And I have certainly used:
QSY: Leaving frequency (normally with mil controllers)
QGH: According to the link it is simply asking for clearance to use an approach - I was under the impression it was itself a specific type of approach where ATC homes in on your tranmission (instead or RADAR) and talks you down. Done a few (with real RADAR backup - I may be stupid but I'm not suicidal!)

Edited:

HD, from albatrosses link:
QNE: What indication will my altimeter give on landing at ... (place) at ... hours, my sub-scale being set to 1013.2 millibars (29.92 inches)?

On landing at ... (place) at ... hours, with your sub-scale being set to 1013.2 millibars (29.92 inches), your altimeter will indicate ... (figures and units).

Last edited by Ropey Pilot; 10th Feb 2006 at 10:38.