PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can this happen - controller partly blamed (merged)
Old 9th Feb 2006, 21:49
SID East

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Descent below the RVC heights on a RIS and blah about terain clearance

Further to some of the previous points / clarifications made; you CAN be descended below the RVC or ASA on a RIS so long as vectors are not applied below these levels. In addition pilots are to be reminded of their responsibilities for terrain clearance when proceeding below these levels.
RAS is only available above the RVC and never below it. I could quote the JSP of WK but I shall refrain from doing so. Sorry Angrel but H Peacock has it!

Also it has been mentioned ad-nausea about the fact that as controllers we do have to remind pilots of responsibility for terrain clearance being theirs and I have seen similar comments on numerous ATCEB reports in the "aircrew comment" section.

As a JATCC Student at Shawbury some years ago various changes in policy (some quite literally on a weekly basis) were hurried onto the course to address the issue resulting from Ben Macdui of which this was one. The instructors were often as frustrated as we were at times but I think now we have a steady state in this respect.

One thing that sticks with me now is the advice I have received from instructors and controllers alike "get it on the tape" "limit everything you possibly can", "protect your back". As a result we have a more defensive Mil ATC Service. Controllers will continue to state responsibilities to pilots as it is in their best interests to do so.

I alluded to this on a thread last year entitled "Fear Factor in ATC training". A fellow course mate had a Tristar crash into high ground (in the simulator!) as a result of his actions. He walked away from the Sim having been told he just could have killed 250 people - withdrawal from the course followed not long after. The F15 CM looming was also a significant factor in a number of withdrawals at this time (unofficially).

I met someone else (pilot) whom Cat 5'd a Firefly on his or her first ever solo. The pilot was counselled, given lots of support and went on to become a front line pilot. At this stage of Flying Trg he was not compared to someone crashing a Tristar and potentially killing 250 people.

Given the comparison, and that ATC normally live through their operational errors (pilots are not always so lucky), is it any wonder where the defensive nature comes from? That said we all want to provide the best service we can - we are good like that!

I would be interested to hear from anyone controlling pre Ben Macdui as to what the RVC was used for exactly and how. I've heard that it was a lot different to the current system, given the changes in procedures adopted after 2001.