PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Accidents in NZ - too frequent?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2006, 16:54
Irishwingz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accidents in NZ - too frequent?

Hey All

Firstly, despite my name and location I hold a NZ PPL and spent 18 months living there doing most of my flying out of Wellington ip to mid last year. During my time there and since then I have come to a conclusion that the volume of light aircraft accidents and fatalaties in NZ is just too high.

I realise its a small country but can it be that in bigger countries like Aussie and the UK accidents do not merit being reported? Even in Ireland I struggle to think of a handful of accidents in the last few years. It seems in NZ there is about 1 every 6 weeks.

I'm not saying its the standard of training and maintenance of aircraft as I have flown in 4 countries extensively and NZ rates as high as the next. Could it be the weather? Sure, it can change quickly but if you are doing your homework you will be aware of the situation - and if it looks bad, you dont go.

Off the top of my head - last year's fatalaties - 172 down in Turangi, 172 down in Q'town, 172 down in cable bay, Seneca down in Taupo, seaplane down in taupo, seneca down on mt eggmont

I wonder sometimes 'what is going on?'