PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS smoke/fire landing at PHL
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2006, 15:53
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Airbubba
The FedEx guys at Stewart were nickeled and dimed by the NTSB on such technicalities as not calling out the formal name of the emergency evacuation checklist. From the Flight Safety Foundation report in the link posted earlier:
"...Finally, the CVR transcript indicates that the captain did not call for an emergency evacuation. (After the captain said, ‘We need to get [the ***k] out of here,’ the flight engineer said, ‘Emergency ground egress.’)"
However, the FedEx captain's persistance in getting the aircraft on the ground quickly saved the crew, even if they missed some checklist items. In the old days, i.e. a decade ago, we would often go into holding in the sim to complete lengthy fire of unknown origin checklists. Now the drill is do as much as you can on the way down and land ASAP.
Hi Airbubba,

didn't that change a tad after the SR111 disaster? I think I heard that some of the blame put onto that captain by the NTSB was quietly shifted after that accident.

I guess that particular accident was a wake up call to many who were advocating prolonged checklist work at the suspicion of fire. I recall that in the aftermath people were quite a bit readier to get on the ground pronto at the slightest indication of something amiss. And not a minute too early too. Particularly the plight of the crew of SR111 should make it abundantly clear that a fire, even only a suspected fire without any warning and indications, is reason enough to get it into the next airport and find out what's cooking....