PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How can this happen - controller partly blamed (merged)
Old 9th Feb 2006, 15:11
PAMCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H Peacock
Sorry I didn't answer the other question.

If you are in Class G airspace under a RIS, ATC shouldn't be telling you to climb/descend/turn. They should be giving you information on known traffic, it is then up you, the pilot to climb/descend/turn as you think fit.

It's a popular misconception.............recently under a RIS, in Class G, I was with a pilot , who was told to 'hold' over a specific town. Had he so wished, he could have told Controller 'No I won't, I intend to carry on'. However, as we were close to a commercial airfield and commercial flights were on frequency also in Class G, it seemed pertinent to do as requested.

When under a RIS you are being given information on 'known a/c', it is up to you to see the rest of the picture and act accordingly. Hence, you're responsible for separation and terrain clearance. That's because the controller cannot do these for you as he/she hasn't got the full picture to do so.

Might I politely suggest a good, long, hard read of ATSORA? It was written to help clarify to ATC and pilots exactly what service was being given and what contract of service is offered and accepted between each. It was also supposed to standardise procedures so that both Civil and military ATCOs/pilots knew what was going on. I will be sad to learn it, if this is no longer the case.