PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL training, hours before 1st solo?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2006, 11:06
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rooney,

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

JAFO said
when you solo has no bearing whatsoever on how good a pilot you are
And I have to totally agree with him.

I went solo very quickly and was really proud of this at the time.

A year or so later (I had my PPL for a few months at this stage) I had terrible difficulty getting a currency checkout (on an aircraft I had already been checkout on). I spent quite a number of hours with a new instructor, who wouldn't sign me off on it. I don't blame him for not signing me off, as my flying didn't deserve the sign off, but something about his attitude made me feel far too nervous and uncomforatable to fly. (The problem was solved immediately once I changed instructor.)

But if that incident thought me anything, it was that my original solo time was more down to luck than skill. I was extremely lucky to have a very good instructor (pre solo) who taught in a way that suited how I learn. I operated from a Radio field, so I didn't have too much to learn about ATC, the aircraft was very simple, and the weather was kind to me.

Once you've got your licence, then no serious pilot will care how long it took you to go solo. After that, the type of flying you do, the breath of your experience and your currency and most importantly, your attitude, will say more about you as a pilot, than your hours to first solo will. The only people who will ask you how long it too you to go solo, will be other students

dp