PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singapore airlines warns of Crisis
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2001, 08:03
sia sniffer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A word of caution for those sending in their cv to SIA in these troubled times. Years ago, I too was an unemployed pilot. The gulf war had finished, and opportunities were few. Ah, but SIA were still running ads for pilots on local terms, no airline experience necessary. Great, so after the required formalities, it was off to South East Asia with a big smile on my face.

Its hard to appreciate from the outside just how vicious and oppressive a regime Singapore and its airline actually are.Their conduct is very gentlemanly and even westernized prior to signing your required bond. Of course once you start, their true colors shine through. The bond is their carte blanch, and your presence in their country a confirmation that you accept their way of thinking. Flexibility and understanding are zero. Learn to swim, of you're surly suffer their self imposed drip drip style of attrition, to make you accept their ways.

Ask yourself if you can accept a totally different corporate culture than what you have been used to in the past. Gone are the knowing smiles of familiarity from the girls in the office, in the departure hall, in despatch. The facade of the Singapore Girl will fade as quickly of the memories of what it was like to work for a "real" airline. Make no mistake about it, you are but a contractor, despised by many in the training department, a newcomer, to be metaphorically beaten into submission.

Troubled times usually benefit SIA.Crews are plentiful, and they can behave in their usual rude and belligerent way , knowing that any port in a storm attitudes will prevail. And here is the underlying problem with the majority of expats in Singapore Airlines. They are there out of necessity, rather than choice. Few are those pilots who chose to leave their current employer for SIA. Usually the common prevailing factor in SIA's expat crews is necessity to maintain an income. Other factors are overlooked in favor of this outstanding requirement.And yes, I too was no different, I went to Singapore because I was unable to get a flying job in my home country.And I was keen and wanted the best. But Im not there now, and shudder to think of the way they treated me and my colleagues, who were there to start what we hoped would be a long and rewarding career.Take the job if nothing else is avaliable, but do it with your eyes wide open.As Tom Waits says, "were all off to Singapore,Singapore land of Nod"