PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security Panic Attack over Spare Batteries in Jacket
Old 9th Feb 2006, 09:19
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10secondsurvey,

It's clear from this web site that not everybody takes well to the idea of having to go through a screening process before they get on a plane. I think most people accept it's a good idea that you have your bags and person checked, and I'm sorry to say I'm one of them and it doesn't bother me one bit. Why do others have problems? Many reasons I suspect. Some people just have problems with authority, others are understandably tense.

Anger is quite common in society and it's not a bad emotion to have. The whole airport experience can be quite stressful. For instance how many people in the queue think thay are going to miss their flight and they see this queue in front of them. Others might be just worried because somebody might look in their bag and they have filly underwear in there. I know a customs officer who says the nervous people are the ones with nothing to hide, so it's common to be emotional, and not neccesarily a bad thing. Also a large percentage of people are scared of flying. All this is very understandable.

So given all this I don't think it's strange that anger is triggered in some passengers when confronted with a screening process. What I'd suggest are simple tricks to manage this. Breath deeply when you approach the queue, repeat calming words to yourself. 'Relax, don't worry' etc. Visualise pleasant things. Before you know it you will be through the screening process and have to deal with the scrum at the gate. Now that is annoying

All in all, I think TSA do a great job. I've watched them over the years and they get some real strange people going through, a lot of them are just totally lost and have no idea what to do. I have never seen them 'lose it' like is reported on here, never heard them call somebody a 'mother f@@@@er' like reported on here, never seen them manhandle somebody like reported on here. I've seen them tell people what to do, but to be frank some people need that. I've seen them process people efficiently and courteously and I think other countries could learn a lot by copying them.