PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus goes A330 ... again.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2006, 18:06
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus internal memo blasts performance

Interesting thread running on A.net; it reports (citing a Seattle paper and Germany's Der Spiegel) that an internal memo from John Leahy, Airbus's top sales bod, blasts Airbus's performance last year in the widebody market.

While the A320 family had a very good year, the widebodies got a right pasting and Leahy says that the A340 is causing the most concern. However, significantly, it's reported that concerns about the A350's fuselage are making it unattractive.

There is also an implied criticism of Noel Foregeard, who apparently focused all efforts on the A380, rather than the other widebodies.

Obviously, Airbus isn't commenting on what it says is an internal memo, BUT you have to wonder what this does to Airbus's sales pitches; it won't mention this to its potential customers, but you can be pretty sure that Boeing will. And enjoy it!

Levity apart, I think it does come back to the prospect of long haul low cost down the line. As 8 abreast aircraft, the 787-10 and A350-9 (and 787-9 and A350-800) are probably comparable - as much range as EI could possibly need and plenty of payload. BUT the fact that the 350 isn't a viable 9 abreast aircraft gives the 787 a key advantage; on an aircraft as long as the 787-10, that could be around 40 seats. That can make a huge impact, day in and day out, over the live of an aircraft, particularly if LH-loco becomes a reality; I believe it will. If FR doesn't do it, someone else will. Best to anticipate it and develop the market before this happens.

As far as EI is concerned right now, things seem pretty quiet (nothing more on the MD11s?). Although I'm kind of resigned to the A350, I strongly believe the 787 is the better aircraft.

The Singapore/Asian Aerospace show is in two weeks' time. Any chance of an announcement then? Or is it likely to be delayed further? Anyone have an idea of a timescale?