PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afrikaans Professional Pilot
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2006, 17:55
GRpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have to put in an alternative view. I now find the African Forum is, at long last, looking like an Aviation Forum again... and not before time! The point has been made, on many occasions, that Pprune is a Professional Pilots' Rumour Network. The African Forum had degenerated into a site where pretty much anyone who wanted to while away a few hours would post on matters with virtually nothing to do with aviation. Cut and paste merchants would fill the forum with voluminous threads on pretty much any topic only remotely related to aviation - it seemed the more remote the better. Threads always seemed to get on the subject of the unfairness of 'affirmative action' in South Africa end up with a thumbs up and 'boet', and run for pages with various people exchanging pleasantries along the lines of ' have a beer for me' when private messages would have done just as well....and not plugged up the forum. It seemed that many posters were just in it to see how many posts they could get against their name. And while many will prefer not to anger the Afrikaans posters... recent posts have shown just how abusive and unpleasant some of them can become.... I am happy to say I am more than glad that Afrikaans has finally been dropped as an acceptable posting language. What a joy to run an eye down the current forum threads and see aviation topics. What a joy to open a thread and read posts related to the topic. What a joy not to read abuse and petty grievances. What a joy to see that new topics 'today' don't run off my screen, again. That is the alternative view, and I know that I am not alone. So, all the posters who say they are off to pastures new.... enjoy, you won't be missed by as many as you think.