PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Land And Hold Short Ops controversy
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2006, 16:18
Euroc5175

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFATCA debates LAHSO

LAHSO procedures have been the subject of much debate during the IFATCA Technical and Operations Committee (TOC) meetings this year.
A draft Working Paper has been reviewed at both TOC meetings, and despite a considerable amount of time spent by the Committee debating the issues, a concensus could not be reached with all the TOC members (comprising multiple nationalities and various ATC disciplines). There were concerns expressed by a number of members, especially regarding controller liability, the delegation of separation, the concept of segregation rather than separation, and the general safety issue of a double go-around.
A LAHSO working paper will still be put to Committee B at the annual IFATCA Conference in April. However, rather than being a TOC submitted paper, it will probably be submitted by an individual Member Association (Australia) or as an Executive Board paper by the current Executive Vice President Technical (an Australian!).
LAHSO procedures are certainly in use in the USA, Canada and Australia. The only place I'm aware that they are used in the UK is Aberdeen, and this is, has been previously highlighted, reserved for helicopter ops.
If anyone is interested in having a copy of the Working Paper drop me an e-mail and I'll forward you a copy once the IFATCA Office distributes all the Conference papers.