PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 8th Feb 2006, 16:06
old heliman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC sorry to see you pipped at the post but glad to see they are in at last.

SASLESS I guess from your posts you are over the pond. The reason for CAA delays resulted from the need by our test pilot brethren to be satisfied with regard to the system of NVIS as a whole, not just the aircraft and they had some concerns about redundancy issues within the goggle power supplies. In particular they were concerned at the potential risks of a single pilot operation by night in hills where an a/c might end up in a position where the pilot had been 'suckered in' to bad weather conditions by using goggles, losing power to them and then having a weather problem. The approval could have been faster and it was frustrating for all of us involved that it took so long. It certainly was not down to the NIH syndrome.

However I do get quite fascinated by the snipes that come from the other side of the pond now and then when it comes to rules, regs and safety. After all the HEMS accident record G o M record and for that matter police safety record over there is so good I can't think why we haven't just taken up your standards willy nilly