PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Load of Rubbish or True........
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2006, 12:26
Mac the Knife

Plastic PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SyllogismCheck
.....I never have, and do not intend to, run cumbersome, speed and processor sapping anti-virus software on any machine I've ever used..........Work machines have it pre-loaded and it makes them a trial to use for the reasons noted above....

Way I see it (in vastly over simplified terms) is this. If I'm behind a router, as I am, only packets expected by my machine/s reach it/them. Hence, If I request nothing dodgy, nothing dodgy gets to them. If I then, also, choose not to invite anything dodgy past my router, I'm safe.......it has, however, never failed me.

Most every machine I ever sort out that's infested has anti-virus running though.
Have you actually looked to see how much of your processor's time the AV is using? Unless you're running something very odd the AV shouldn't affect things noticeably.

If the work machines are trial to use I'd suggest other or additional reasons for this.

"Way I see it..." well, vaguely sort of, but it ain't that simple.

"Most every machine..." - if the AV is out of date or there are other glaring security holes (like sharing the root of drives, etc.) then no AV will help.

I don't use AV software on my Linux boxen, but then it's a proper OS with good default security. Though I can't remember when one of my Windows boxes popped up a virus I sure wouldn't run 'em without AV (even though I keep 'em buttoned up real tight).

"Are you feeling lucky?" Guess you are.

Sure hope it stays that way