PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Aeroplane on treadmill" conundrum...
Old 8th Feb 2006, 10:40
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have made an incorrect assumption that invalidates your case.
Friction of movement between two solid objects does not have a simple relationship with speed. Friction is greatest when they are stationary in relation to each other, but drops immediately when they start to move and thereafter remains low - it doesn't rise quickly with speed.
I don't think I have.
If I remember my leaving certificate physics correctly the law was "The co-efficient of static friction is greater than the co-efficient of dynamic friction."
Once the aircraft starts to move forwards relative to the conveyor belt, the level of friction immediately drops. However it does not disappear. If I remeber correctly, it increases thereafter with speed, albeit slowly.
I'll readily admit that the velocity that the converyor belt would have to be traveling would likely rip the wheels off before it gave enough friction to hold up the engine, but none the less, in theory it seems possible.

[b]dublinpilot[b]you're talking shoite me auld son. If there was the relationship between wheel bearing friction and speed that you describe then your car would never move away from the kerb as friction would increase in proportion to the speed!
Low & Slow, the difference between the airplane example and a car is quite profound. In the airplane situation the conveyor belt can move at unlimited speed (in theory). The ground can't move at all under a car

dp

dp