PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you reclaim the VAT and/or tax on training costs?
Old 8th Feb 2006, 09:49
ThomasTheTankEngine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VAT

Hi Push To Shock

I done my training and set my self up self employed and VAT registered about 11 years ago.

As far as I know setting your self up self employed is much easier now than it was then. If you get in contact with the Inland Revenue they should be able to help you out, I went to a seminar at the Chamber Of Commerce and visited a few organisations which give advice on going self employed, this was free so I would not bother getting an accountant these organisations can tell you all you need to know.

You will have to say that you intend to make your living self employed.

When I originally registered self employed Customs & Excise told me that I would have to make my first sale before they would pay me the VAT which I had paid out for training back.

My first sale was working for the company which provided my helicopter training, I worked ground crew for them for the day, sent them an invoice, done my VAT return and got the VAT back from my training, no problem. At this point I had not even finished my training.

When you register as self employed you will be asked what type of activities you will be doing, don't just say pilot, don't forget ground crew services, helicopter sales etc. This will allow you to claim that VAT back before you finish your training.