PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lifestyle in the small Caribbean islands
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2006, 09:48
blueplume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eurochamp,

the Caribbean has no timetable other than "it's done when it's done". This means that even it has been completed you won't be told this until such time as the doer feels the time is auspicious (cool) enough to tell you.

Money will get almost everything done quicker (note that this is still a relative term).

The main reason for this is that the sun shone yesterday, it's shining today and it will almost certainly shine tomorrow so why hurry if every day is the same?

However, if the locals feel that they are learning/getting something from you then you're their best friend until you start telling someone else the same thing at which time recipient-of-information No. 1 will feel his worth decreased because he/she is no longer the sole person to benefit from some piece of information that can be used to show up the neighbour's ignorance.

Before anyone says it, no, I am not making generalised racist comments. I have been in the Caribbean for years now and I can confirm that there are many extremely intelligent and talented individuals in the Caribbean that would put the average European to shame. It's just the Caribbean way. Go there and enjoy.