PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Scathing' report on BA Maintenance practices
Old 8th Feb 2006, 09:18
sdcycles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up LAME Numbers

Don't know if anyone has considered how many 'actual' LAME's there are back there residing in blighty. By that I mean B1/B2 certifiers. Since going expat I have found all the other nationalities have UK CAA LAME licenses in addition their own countries. Malaysian, Pakistani, Indian, Arab etc. For instance a Sudanese friend who is A+C also has full avionics including compass.So although I have previously seen how many LAMES have been issued by the CAA as far as I know it includes all the guy's from other countries and Airlines. Is the picture back in the UK distorted then? Anyone?

As I understand it flight deck and Cabin crew numbers/working hours are legislated by law and Insurance matters. I'm sure I can be corrected by someone with better intel. Engineers only enter the equation with airline insurance costs. That I do know for sure as a horses mouth inadvertantly told me a few years ago and it makes perfect sense.

Insurers require 'X' amount of UK CAA or other equivalents, (Aussies/New Zealanders, South Africans), for their insurance costs to be kept at a reasonable level.

I don't know how many guys are still in position in BA but I do know from personnal experience LGW BA ramp operation. And from people around me here, I have been told just how chaotic big checks can be at the worlds Worst Airline.

From reading this thread it is possible to make out people who do not really know what it is like trying to keep an airline safely to shedule in todays typically under resoursed world of aircraft maintenance. So I really did like the comment about the Smart German infiltrators with the WW2 GI's....Nice one matie!