PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Last Tommy
Thread: The Last Tommy
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2006, 06:57
Pom Pax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
State funeral

I agree with idea of a state funeral for the last survivor if the family concur.
However there seems to be some confusion over what is a state funeral.
State funerals are reserved for the Monarch and for very few people who the state deems have deserved the honour because of their actions or deeds.
vecvechookattack You were nearly correct but you said Monarchy.
The funerals of HM The Queen Mother, HRH The Princess Margaret, and Diana, Princess of Wales were all Royal Funerals not State funerals. As such these are just family funerals but very public. I was made aware of this subtle difference by a series of photographs in either the Express or the Mail after the funeral of Queen Mary. These showed the mourners following the coffin in both Queen Mary's and King George VIth's funerals. In King George's case Prince Philip leads the mourners (as the husband of the Monarch) followed by royal males in order of succession and way last the Duke of Windsor. At Queen Mary's funeral the Duke of Windsor leads as senior family member and Prince Philip is after the Duke of Gloucester (and possibly the Earl of Harewood).
Finally I am sure if the last survivor happens to be an Australian resident under the current administration a State funeral will be offered