PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unwelcomed media chopper
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2006, 04:22
LowNr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yarrayarra
Channel 7 chopper reportedly made unauthorised landing inside a Temporary Restrictd Area set up near Moyston around the scene of car crash/ burnt out vehicle containing bodies of father and son.
Victorian Police not impressed as debris blown around all over the investigation scene. Police grounded the chopper for some period. Ah the media- what would we do without them?
Interesting. I went to a meeting with ATC (ASA); Police; Prisons & Media representatives a while ago, to discuss the misuse of the TRA system in Victoria and was assured that abuses like TRA's over car accidents wouldn't happen any more - but thanks for the info, I'll look into it on a formal basis. Restricted areas are for use when there is danger to or from aircraft - not as media exclusion zones. Ah air traffickers what we could do without them!!

Talked to the pilot involved (& by the way, other media choppers landed there, as well), he landed several hundred meters downwind in a separate paddock and there was no debris blown all over the scene. Police did get upset at the landing, but after a quick chat, all was apparently forgiven. There was a TRA they were operating in with approval - for bushfires, not relevant to the landing.

On a general note, whether you like the media, the news or not - they do turn up to events like this to report it. Should we get rid of the media? should we get rid of the police? should we get rid of ATC? or just accept they're all part of our fabulous western democracies and turn off the TV if we're not interested? Most people expect to see the coverage and watch it.

All the talk about NOTAMs and radio announcements are great, but when you're in a fire CTAF with a dozen helicopters talking, calls on the area frequency are easy to miss - IF there were any - I'm not even sure there was a separate TRA up.

Brings up a good point though, in the brave new Aussie airspace system, poor old VFR operators get no / limited advice of inflight hazards and they can't ask ATC anymore, just flightwatch IF they can raise them (and how often DO you check?). I think the system has let us down badly, in this regard.

LowNr