PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Rain
Thread: Flying in Rain
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 22:14
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
Still waiting for Formation Flyer to tell us how he accurately measures 3km straight ahead without visual references from the ground......
After all, he won't hesitate to fail a stude for transgressing.
So, come on FF, out with it.............

Sorry, been flying an aircraft - not the computer!!

I was intentionally a bit strong - whether the stude gets a stiff word, B'ing or fail depends on a lot of factors...but I do consider loss of VMC as a severe transgression..

However, lets face it - if one cannot make a rough call in terms of judgement about whether or not one has appropriate in-flight visibility to continue flight then one perhaps should not be flying - after all does one need air traffic to tell one that one cant see out the window? no...Next question will be how do you 'definitively' judge that you comply with >1000' from cloud >3000' and 1500m horiz separation - Are you seriously saying you cannot judge this?? To at least a reasonable degree?

As a point of fact I have found most pilots (& students by the end of their circuit sessions) can judge 800 or 1000' rather well *without* the aid of an altimeter....

im sure, as a pilot, you understand exactly what I am getting at, and are perhaps trying to get a rise or something...

we all get caught, we all make mistakes...but the points still stand...