PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Rain
Thread: Flying in Rain
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 21:57
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
The ONLY time inadvertant IMC may occur is at night. Simple as that.
I disagree. Anyone who flies at night and does not have a plan for penetrating clouds or areas of darkness with no visible horizon is a complete menace IMHO.
Undertaking night flying by visual reference is also a choice and there must be a valid contingency plan before making that choice.
er. 'inadvertant' meaing 'not intentionally flown into' i.e. you did not CHOOSE to fly directly INTO a cloud - in the same way that during the day I enter IMC purely through choice and choice alone. Thats different from 'having a plan' and 'contingency'. 'contingency' is what you do if you 'inadventantly' enter IMC at night...very different statement.

So I agree with you.

Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
So tell me, how do you definitively measure in flight viz directly in front - i.e. without any reference?
You cannot 'definitively' measure in-flight visibility - its a question of whether or not you can see an aircraft coming the other way - if not - then the vis is not good enough.

Its a question of common sense - and not pushing licence privilges beyond their already reasonable limits. The question of rain + visibility almost has a parallel with the question over 'in sight of the surface'...a good dose of common sense helps.