PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rocky Road to Commercial Aviation - Please help out a wannabe!
Old 7th Feb 2006, 14:18
J.O.

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
energie:

The fact that you're looking at the risks in advance says to me that you're an excellent candidate! Pilots above all else, are good at assessing the risks ahead.

Take it from someone who knows first hand, if you're in a serious relationship, you need to be honest and up front with your partner about what's ahead. They need to know the potential pitfalls and sacrifices that may come as you work toward your career goals. They must be supportive of those goals, and if their personal career / life situation allows, it's great if they're willing to follow you on your employment adventures to far away places. I've been married for 24 years to just such a person, and she has made my career a whole lot more rewarding because she's enjoyed being along for the ride. And, dealing with the occasional challenges (unemployment, packing up and moving to a new town for a new job, long times away from her and the kids) have actually served to make our relationship stronger. I'm very lucky!

Jeff