PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Citiexpress (pseudo) Sponsorship?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 12:36
Wannabe24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

The following response is based on my views about the recent FlyBE 'mentored' pilot scheme. Just adapted for BACX...FTE's current cost for their integrated course is £63,216 (today's Euro to Pound rate).

According to PPJN.com, year 1 on turboprops gets you £20,808

Year.............Pay

Year 1........... £20,808
then add a measly £800 a year until year 12...

Year 12......... £29,589

For those that go into this with very small funds you are looking at a £60,000 loan minimum with interest this is going to cost you £84,000 over 12 years or £583.33 every month for 12 years. FTE/BACX are not advertising the tax free part of it like OAT did for Excel and TCX so rest assured it probably won't be the case. Anyway, if you want to pay it back in 6 years (which I think most sensible human beings would want) you will have to fork out £1,000 per month. All this out of your own salary. How can anyone manage £1,000 for a loan, £500-700 for rent/mortgage, £200 on outgoings for 5 years on an average salary of £23,000!

This kind of approach cannot work with a BACX turboprop salary. It's madness paying out that sum of money to guarantee a job which will pay you a mediocre salary for 12 years. Those that are successful at getting through, don't think you are lucky in anyway as your finances will be ****-poor for the next 10 years. Think ahead is my advice.

Why not spend £35,000 going the modular route, if it takes you 2 years to find a flying job so what.... Live a little, work in another field. Remember, no airline is going to employ you if it's your first job after leaving college! If you're on a crappy salary like the BACX one for 5 years then at least your not an extra £40,000 in debt.