PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hodgkin Cancer
Thread: Hodgkin Cancer
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2006, 10:30
Simon853

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diabolo,
I'm in the same boat as you. Back in Novemeber I was unexpectedly diagnosed with testicular cancer, and unfortunately it had already aggressively spread through my lymph nodes and into my lungs by the time it was diagnosed. 3 months on and I've almost completed my chemotherapy and the indications thus far is that the disease has responded well to treatment and I will make a complete recovery.

I of course had to surrender my Class 1. The CAA were very sympathetic and assured me when the time comes they will do anything they can to try and get me flying again but it will likely depend on whether I'm left with any lasting damage, either from the cancer or the treatment itself, which is of course rather toxic in itself.

I was halfway through my PPL(H) on the eventual route to CPL(H) so it came as a hell of a blow. Of concern to me now is whether I can get the C1 back at all, and whether it'll be restricted to multi-pilot for a number of years, which is obviously no good to a fledgling heli pilot or a student needing P1 time. Unfortunately for the peace of mind, there are no hard and fast rules within the CAA regarding this issue, as it's all evaluated on an individual basis, which I actually took to be the fortunate side, as it allows us to get the best advice and fight our own corners, hopefully without simply coming up against beaurocracy and red tape for the sake of it.

I have about another month to go before my oncologist will be in a position to write his report for the CAA and I can start the ball rolling. I know I'll likely have to sit this year out regardless, but I'm hopeful that I'll be flying again before too long.

Best regards,

Si